Welcome! My Story...

Several years ago, a friend of mine from work said something about her husband leaving for a month to go to Spain to do some long walk along a "camino" something or other.  I thought, "really?  Going all the way to Spain to just walk around?"  My memories of Spain were food and wine and architecture and art, not walking around the countryside.

Then about 3 or 4 years ago, my DH and I were flipping through movies on Netflix trying to find something interesting to watch.  That's when we came across the 2011 movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen.  We watched with interest as he begins a journey along the Camino de Santiago; following the path that his son had planned to walk.  I suddenly remembered the conversation I'd had with my friend a couple of years prior.  This was that "camino" she had talked about then. 

DH and I joked about doing it one day, but then we started to laugh thinking about what a one month-long journey across the countryside would be like and would we still be married at the end.  It became a "yeah, sure, in your dreams" kind of folly.  In the years that followed, my friend ended up doing the Camino with her husband and talked about how amazing it was.  Then she did it again.  Then another friend chronicled her journey on Facebook.  I still couldn't imagine doing it.

This year my mother died.  My mother who I had traveled the world with.  The one who always encouraged me to dream, to travel, to seek adventure and to push myself beyond what I thought I was capable of.  The one person who always believed in me even when I didn't believe in myself.  And, suddenly, the Camino became a way to honor her, to go back to my roots, to maybe find something deeper within my self, and, yes, to maybe find God whom I had questioned when my mother died.

I asked DH if he was willing to go with me.  He said he would think about it, then later confided that he thought it would be better for me to find other people more like myself who were "interested in that sort of thing."  So I reached out to you, my friends, and so many of you have responded "yes!"  And, here we are.  About to embark on an amazing journey.  And, while we each will walk our own Camino, we'll be doing it together.

This will be the place to interact, to inspire, to plan.  There's a lot to do in the next two years... so let's get started, as they say, on the right foot...!


Comments

Popular Posts