Money Matters


Seems like a long way off when you look at it like this, right?
However, it's never too early to start thinking about finances.
I know that I am planning to be there about a month,
with a few side trips and maybe adding some other excursions
at the end of the pilgrimage.

So I thought I would put together my plan for saving up for expenses for the Via.
If you get down to basics, you will need:
*Money for your flight to Lisbon: LAX about $1000, SFO about $900
LGA about $800.
*Backpack: lightweight and good quality about $250 - $300
*Sleeping bag: lightweight and warm about $200
*Sleeping bag silk liner: about $100 (some sites talk about "bug problems"
so recommend a silk liner)
*Shoes: about $150 (hikers vs trainers vs walking shoe)
*Daily expenses: anywhere from $35 - 50/day for room and board

So since I don't have any of the above, I need to save about
$1650 for travel and basic equipment plus about
$1500 if I went to the higher end of daily expenses
which equals about $3150 for the trip.
So I need to save about $32/wk
(705/7 = 101 weeks; 3150/101=31.20 round up)
I'm going to plan to save about $40 to include 
taxes, taxi and bus rides, plus special meals all during the Pilgrimage.  
This doesn't include a couple of side trips
and possibly adding on the 4 day trek to Finisterre.

So, hope this helps you with some of your travel goals.
Remember, your numbers will be different depending on where
your journey is beginning, ending, and what equipment
you may already have to start off with.

Bien Camino!!





Comments

Popular Posts